This tutorial was developed by Frances Duran and Kathy Seitzinger Hepburn for the Center for Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation, an Innovation and Improvement Project funded by the Office of Head Start.
About this Tutorial
The first step in achieving effective early childhood mental health consultation (ECMHC) is having a firm grasp of the defining characteristics of this collaborative intervention. This includes a clear understanding of ECMHC's key components and characteristics, as well as the major roles for mental health consultants and tasks associated with implementation, particularly for mental health consultants.
Purpose and Overall Goal
The purpose of this tutorial is to provide a detailed description of early childhood mental health consultation, including how it differs from other mental health interventions, and to provide an overview of the essential roles that mental health consultants play.
After completing this tutorial, you will be able to:
- Identify the defining characteristics of early childhood mental health consultation, including the different types of consultation
- Describe how ECMHC is different than other mental health interventions
- Describe required consultant tasks as outlined in the Head Start Performance Standards
- Describe the fundamental roles of a mental health consultant
- Identify activities that consultants can do in Head Start/Early Head Start settings to fulfill each of these roles
This tutorial is designed to take about 30 minutes to complete, although timing may vary from person to person. We recommend completing the training in one sitting, but if this is not possible, you can easily pick up where you left off at a later time.
Other than a computer, you will not need any materials to complete this training. You may want to keep a pen/pencil and paper handy to take notes, or to have ready access to a printer to print items that are of particular interest to you.
Throughout this tutorial there may be words or terminology that may be new to you. Please check our glossary by clicking on the direct link at the top of the page or in the left margin. The glossary will open in a new window.
If you have any questions or technical difficulties with this tutorial, please email us. Thank you and we hope you enjoy the training.